Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Stuffed Peppers for Two

This week I decided to make some Kibbeh/Kofte using the recipe I found online. It was easier than I expected and I expect to make more in the future. There were some leftover beef and so I took it as an opportunity to make stuffed peppers. I modified the recipe below to make it easier. I am using an oven toaster, so instead of baking for 45 mins at 350 degrees temperature, I increased it to 450 degrees and I am done in a little less than 30 minutes.


Ingredients:
2 medium bell peppers (green, red, orange, yellow)
1/2 pound ground beef
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
1/2 cup cooked rice
3 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper


Cut tops off peppers and discard; remove seeds.
Blanch peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes.
Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
Saute the onions in a frying pan for about 5 minutes. Add the beef. Wait for it to brown a little and then add the tomato sauce, rice, 2 tablespoon of cheese, salt, and black pepper.
If you are using leftover kofte/kibbeh filling, you won't need to saute the beef. Mix the beef and the tomato sauce, rice, cheese, salt and black pepper in a skillet on low heat to warm it up before stuffing the peppers.
Stuff the peppers; place in an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over peppers. Cover and bake at 450 degrees F for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

No comments: