Friday, January 01, 2010

Crying

As to why we needed an engagement party, is beyond me. I only agreed to organize it so I don't have to be in entourage.
Come on, it would really mean a lot to us, Danica said.
This was right after she showed me what the "entourage" will wear knowing well that I'd take a serious death threat to make me wear something "formal".
If you don't want to, you don't have to, Danica pouted when she saw the grimace on my face. My brother gave me a threatening look that as she tried to appease his fiancee.
Well what if I just organize the engagement party and the reception, I offered.
Oh that is so wonderful! she exclaimed.
Are you sure it's not so much trouble?
My usual sensible brother seem to have lost it by choosing this woman.
And so I was stuck.
I looked outside on the San Francisco skyline and congratulated myself on booking this venue. The Bay Bridge is still spectacular no matter how many times I see it, it also never fails to soothe me specially in this time of stress.
I looked around the room again and there she is. It's amazing how people can be together for a long time and then one day wake up one day and have to say it's over. I spent my whole adult life with her, and now I don't know who I am.
I clenched my fist and tried to fight back the lump in my throat. I know I am quite red now even though I've only had one glass of wine. I walked over to my parents' table.
Ma, I have to go, I'm not feeling well, I said.
Well what am I supposed to do? she said with an alarmed look on her face.
Nothing, just tell James.
I walked out of the hall and found the elevator.
I hope she doesn't see me like this. I thought frantically wiping my tears with the handkerchief I fished from my pocket. It was one she gave me 2 years ago.
The rest of my travel was a blur. I didn't know how I could have driven that night. Luckily I took tha BART and my apartment wasn't that far away from the South City Station.
I loved her. Maybe there really is such a thing as too much love.

No comments: